Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over June 1916

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 1

25th June 1916 - 4th Battalion aeroplanes make raid on German observation balloons

Rolling Casualty Count: 3291

At the Front:

2nd Batt: After an early morning strafe, everything went quiet. The Artillery cut the wire in front near the railway. The enemy blew another long, shallow mine touching the crater of the 24th June. A barrage was opened on our Front and HQ was shelled with 4.2 but no damage was done. Orders were received that the 15th Division were going to loose gas on the enemy front during the night but this was cancelled.

4th Batt; Our aeroplanes made a raid on German observation balloons and 3 were destroyed Artillery bombed the German trenches but the enemy did not respond as vigorously as expected, although shells fell on Mailly Maillet, one accounting for 30 casualties.

10th Batt: The 2nd day of the bombardment with enemy retaliation mostly on Albert. Three Coys moved to another camp about ½ a mile north of the Albert Railway as retaliation is expected on the village.

11th Batt: The Batt started to help cut and harvest the local crops.

Yeomanry/Cavalry: Batt with Warwicks and Bucks advanced over the rocky, barren country to El Buggar Ridge and skirmishes took place with enemy patrols.

This was last operation by the Imperial Mounted Division as it ceased to exist. New divisions were formed, the Yeomanry Division and the Australian Divisions

On the Home Front:

Conscientious Objector Arrested at Evesham - At Evesham Borough Court on Friday, two conscientious objectors, who on the previous day applied without success for a review of their certificates which gave them exemption from combatant service were charged with failing to report themselves when called up. They were Albert Henry Woodward (26) painter and decorator of Hampton and Arthur Woodward (26), bricklayer’s labourer, Middle Littleton and both pleaded not guilty. Colonel Miller, Recruiting Officer, stated that the men were called up under Royal Proclamation. They appealed to the Local Tribunal who dismissed their appeals. They then applied to the County Appeal Tribunal who granted then exemption from military service. This did not satisfy them and they appealed again to the County Tribunal for a review of their certificates. That Tribunal met the previous day and he had not had official information of the result of the appeals, but he presumed as the prisoners were present, that day that the appeals were dismissed. Prisoners both said that they were sincere conscientious objectors and they contended that as their appeals to the County Appeal Tribunals were pending the warrants should not have been issued. Supt Hill stated that he has received the warrants on Wednesday but as he discovered the appeals were pending, he did not execute them until after the appeals which were dismissed, were heard. He then took them to the cells. Prisoners were each fined £2 and ordered to be handed over to the military authorities. Prisoners both thanked the police for the consideration shown them.

Runaway at Abberton – Pinvin Constable’s courage - At Abberton near Pershore, a remarkable accident occurred on Saturday afternoon. P C Lane, who is stationed at Pinvin, was on duty near to the scene, when he saw a horse and cart galloping down a hill, which was one of the steepest in the county. He saw that there was a boy named Alfred Hills (between 8 and 10 years old) in the trap. The constable was cycling, but got off his machine. As the horse came along side he made a dash for it’s head, but the bridle being loose it slipped onto one side. He, however, hung onto the horse, which dashed into a wall immediately facing the hill. Horse, constable and part of the cart went to the top of the wall and the boy was thrown over the wall, but received no other injuries than a shaking. The cart turned over and one of the shafts was turned to splinters. The constable held onto the horse, if he had released his hold, the wheel of the cart would have crushed him to death. The constable held the horse’s head until help came. Mr Pursor, a farmer of Abberton, rendered assistance. The horse and cart belonged to Mr Curnock, butcher of Church Lench. It was left standing outside a house, while a man employed by Mr Curnock was delivering meat to a customer. The boy was left in the cart, and it is surmised that the animal was infuriated by flies getting into his ears. Though only a four year old it was of a quiet disposition. The courageous act of the constable is worthy of all praise.

Information researched by the WWW100 team.