Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over November 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 6

9th November 1918 - The German Kaiser, Wilhelm II, abdicates and prepares to leave Germany. Germany declared a republic.

Rolling casualty count: 11497

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt working on Coy schemes. Later there was a Brigade Concert.

2nd Batt: Orders came that the 38th Division would pass through the Line and the 33rd Division would move back to Reserve. Batt marched back through La Pot de Vin to Petit Mauberge.

3rd Batt: The advance continued and in the afternoon, A and B Coys passed through C and D Coys but were shelled by machine gun fire.

4th Batt: At 0300 hours a patrol proceeded forward to the banks of the Grand Courant to see if any enemy were still nearby. It was reported that the enemy was retreating and 5th Army Front and Tournai were reported evacuated.

14th Batt: One Coy worked on the road to Angre and one platoon worked on the each of the craters on the Angre to Angreau Road.

Home Front:

Probable Surrender Tomorrow: A diplomatic correspondent of the “Daily Chronicle” writes: “Competent opinion believes that the Germans will probably surrender tomorrow, if only because their fondness for Sunday in making overtures and declarations. Those most familiar with German psychology credit them with a desire even now to boggle over the hard terms imposed, and the appointment of so subtle a politician as Erzberger points that way; but outside events are too strong. The house burns; it is no time for discussion. Thus the odds are distinctly in favour of a speedy reply in the affirmative.”

Alleged Theft of Grapes: Henry Lloyd (27), labourer, 8 Court, Dolday, was charged with the theft of 8lbs. of grapes, of the value of £1, the property of the G.W. Railway Co. Edward Blimcow, of 22, Newtown Road, G.W.R. constable, said that the grapes were a consignment waiting for transit, and were in good condition. When he saw them again in the evening two of the barrels were broken, and some of the grapes were missing. He watched them later, and saw prisoner take more. He asked for a remand until Monday, for Mr. Evers, solicitor, to attend. The Bench granted the remand and bail was allowed in £10.

The Shirehall has been transformed into a floral exhibition at which beautiful artificial flowers made by the blind and crippled girls of John Groom’s Crippleage and Flower Girls’ Mission are being sold for the benefit of the Institution at stalls in charge of a number of local ladies. The exhibition opened on Friday afternoon, and will remain open until November 16th. Of special interest was the making of the flowers by the crippled girls, whose deft fingers quickly fashioned beautiful blooms. There was a magnificent collection of artificial flowers for table decoration, evening wear and millinery, all made of silk, velvet, or best woven material.

Pte. James E. Lewis, Worcesters (son of Mrs. Lewis, 82, Vincent Road, Worcester) died in a Clearing Station in France from bronchial pneumonia on the 31st October. He was 36 years of age. He joined the Colours in October 1916, and had served nearly two years in France. Previous to joining he was employed at Messrs. Pearks’ Stores, the Shambles, Worcester.

Interesting Football Match: Time was when people gathered in hundreds of thousands to see a good football match, but war has altered things, and it was quite consistent with the national situation that but few spectators attended the combat waged on Thursday afternoon between the officers and sergeants of the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars, now stationed in Ireland. In fact, it was rumoured that those worthy spectators who did brave the elements – for it was a cold murky afternoon – had been bribed to cheer, and two men openly boasted that for their patronage they had been excused oil-bottles and pull-throughs. But these little features did not in the least diminish the enthusiasm of the players, and if the match actually failed to paralyse us with the wealth of science displayed, it was at least most interesting.

On Saturday evening a hearse belonging to Mr. E.E. Griffiths, driven by William Hallow, was leaving Sidbury Mews. Reaching the centre of the tram lines, it collided with a London Road tram. The hearse driver was thrown under the horses, and the hearse was overturned. The driver was examined by Dr. Simmons. No bones were broken, but he was found to be suffering from shock.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team