Key dates over April 1918
Lives lost on this day: 23
16th April 1918 - MALVERN FOOD CONTROL – Increased Rations
Rolling casualty count: 9376
2nd Batt: The Fusiliers counter-attacked and took over some of our posts, only 5 officers being left.
3rd Batt: Batt still in same position. 2Lt PH Constable was wounded.
4th Batt: At dusk Batt changed position moving 1000 yards west to make a counter attack for 101st and 147thbrigades. French cavalry and armoured cars arrived. Cavalry dug in to our rear.
10th Batt: The enemy attacked the northern end of Messines Ridge and Wyschaete and Spanbroek Mill fell into their hands. Batt occupied trenches near the camp and awaited an attack which did not come.
MALVERN FOOD CONTROL – Increased Rations of Tea, Butter and Margarine – The weekly meeting of the Malvern Food Control Committee was held in the Public Library on Wednesday.
NATIONAL KITCHEN AT MALVERN LINK – Miss Farmer stated that Major Reddie was prepared to allow the Yeomanry Drill Hall, Malvern Link, to be used as a national kitchen, provided certain conditions were observed.
MORE TEA – The Executive Officer reported that the Division Commissioner had sanctioned the increase of the tea allowance to an ounce and a half.
334 LBS OF CHEESE FOR 21,000 PEOPLE - Mr Hillyard said that the returns showed that there were 334lbs of cheese for the whole of the Malverns, to supply a buying population of about 21,000.
MARGARINE AND BUTTER OUTLOOK – A delay in the delivery of margarine occurred in London. It was not the fault of the local food office. It did not cause too much of a problem as reserve stocks were drawn upon and there were larger supplies of butter.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. John Aldington 17435 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Jesse Chislett 49458 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Bertram Clarke 30483 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Albert Daniels 20614 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Richard Eastwood 42039 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Edmonds 203167 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Edward Griffiths 51517 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. George Harris 12540 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. James Henry Hartnoll 41731 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Benbow Jones 240405 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Loveridge 242661 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Sgt. James George Meadows 21979 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Harry John Nicklin 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Phillips 40338 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Alfred Rivers 42455 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Henry Savage 42547 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Victor Smart 25949 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Squance 202159 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Weston 201801 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Henry Eacock 132271 - Machine Gun Corps
- Pte. Albert Rollings 307331 - Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
- Pte. Albert Victor Fowles 22239 - Coldstream Guards
- L/Bdr. Sidney Bishop 334638 - Royal Garrison Artillery