Key dates over April 1918
Lives lost on this day: 39
12th April 1918 - LADY DEERHURST ADDRESSES FARMERS
Rolling casualty count: 9248
1st Batt: Patrols went out to Gouzencourt in early am in fine weather. The 2nd East Lancs attacked Gouzencourt through our line and occupied a line beyond Gouzencourt.
2nd Batt: Enemy attack in the evening was repulsed. Two patrols went in am, both of which claimed that many men were killed. Heavy shelling all round Plougsteerte Wood and in fields around Armentieres. A heavy barrage on C Coy. resulted in 12 casualties.
3rd Batt: Batt continued to hold the line of the light railway all day, dispersing enemy patrols.
4th Batt: Batt heavily bombarded but held the position. There were many casualties, 2LT JH Watt was killed and 2LT CH Gorrie was wounded.
10th Batt: Enemy artillery shelled these trenches intermittently but no attack was made.
LADY DEERHURST ADDRESSES FARMERS – The Training of Land Girls - A meeting of the Worcester Farmer’s Union was held at the Star Hotel on Monday, Lady Deerhurst President of the Women’s War Agricultural Committee attended the meeting to explain the scheme of the Board of Agriculture to get girls trained for work on the land. She said that it was unlikely that the soldier labour which had been expected would be available and the various Committees were asked to get 30,000 women trained in the different Counties. So far farmers had been quite helpful. Training hostels were being started, but farmers and landlords could be of the greatest assistance if they would allow the girls to be trained on their farms and that would be much more practical training than they could get in the hostels. No expense would be incurred as the Government allowed the farmer 17s per week for the board and lodging of the girls for the girls for training of four or five weeks and a bonus at the end of it.
WORCESTER COLLEGE FOR THE BLIND – Term End Concert – On Friday last a large number of people availed themselves of the invitation of the College Social and Literary Club and assembled in the Gymnasium to enjoy a concert given entirely by the students. Usually at such concerts well known professionals and amateurs give their services. Knowing that several of the students had considerable musical ability many asked the Headmaster that the boys might take a large share in the programme.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. William Allen 203265 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Thomas Arkell 31449 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Sidney Ash 41919 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Attwood 203711 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. James Bradley 201459 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Joseph Brown 17635 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Charles D. Brownsey 40541 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. David Cook 17054 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Sgt. Charles William Curtis 8672 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Victor Farrington 52512 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Samuel John Faulkner 25370 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Harry Goodall 202793 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Ernest Gosling 40388 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Leslie Greenaway 34239 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Sutcliffe Haigh 42012 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Hart 21896 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Thomas Hill 50797 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Wilfred Hill 16333 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Hodkin 42345 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Ralph Joiner 43838 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- C.S.M. Ernest Knight 51787 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Walter Ernest Godfrey Lockyer 43844 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Edward Arthur March 235097 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Charles Meek 40411 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Leslie Vere Misson 40195 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Payne 38318 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Shaw 48135 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- C.S.M. John William Smith 7139 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Edward Tressler 203271 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Winnall 201917 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Bertram Wood 27395 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Ernest Wood 29789 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Jonathan Woodhall 10142 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Bernard David Davies 26775 - Grenadier Guards
- Pte. Cyril Hill 44027 - Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment
- Pte. Frank Edward Jeffries 35195 - Yorkshire Hussars (Alexandra, Princes of Wales' Own)
- Pte. Henry Gittus 20565 - Grenadier Guards
- Sgt. James Albert Gibbs 290401 - Monmouthshire Regiment
- Pte. Thomas Henry Moss 27909 - Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment