Key dates over April 1918
Lives lost on this day: 16
20th April 1918 - GIVING FRITZ SOCKS
Rolling casualty count: 9490
1st Batt: Brigade inspected by GOC of Division and medals were presented. Two bombs were dropped by hostile planes near the village.
2nd Batt: Batt marched from 6.30am to 2pm to billets near Noordpeene.
4th Batt: The 88th Brigade relieved by 401st Brigade at night but Batt only received orders to withdraw at 2pm. Lt HA Ward was killed.
10th Batt: Batt marched northwards to the Proven area.
Yeomanry/Cavalry: Rumours of an early move were rife.
WORCESTERSHIRE AND THE WAR – THE LATE COL. CLIVE M.P. – At the annual meeting of the Colwall Parish Council on Wednesday evening, the Chairman said that Col. Clive had given up his life in this terrible war. He had been twice wounded and the whole county would mourn his death.
GIVING FRITZ SOCKS – Mr John Kent of Upton upon Severn, has just a received a letter from a soldier friend in France, who from the beginning of the war had had two 10 days period of leave and on each occasion has been eager to get back to the front after being a week in England. He says “I have had a ----of a time lately and just missed being captured twice; I only got away by the skin of my teeth, as they say. We are far from being beaten yet and the boys are splendid – they are just giving Fritz socks. It’s a treat to see them mowing the Germans down”.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Walter Holden 23282 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Norman Hyde 42025 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Mansell 201593 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Meek 27555 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Henry Money 45352 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. WaIter Neale 12013 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Phipson 20668 - 9th Bn Worcs Reg
- Major Cuthbert Roger Rowden att. R.F.C
- Pte. Walter Underhil 241797 - 14th Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Harold Arthur Ward 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Ralph Wynn 40908 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Bdr. Archibald Thomas Wood 89381 - Royal Field Artillery
- Pte. Charles William Phillips 50281 - Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Dvr. Henry Harry Moore 65979 - Royal Field Artillery
- Gunner Herbert Tarpey 831120 - Royal Field Artillery
- Pte. Walter Thomas Powell 42618 - Essex Regiment