Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over April 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 15


Rolling casualty count: 9601

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt relieved by 2nd East Lancs and billeted in good conditions at Villers Guillains.

2nd Batt: Batt played the 33rd Machine gun Corps at football. Div Concert Party played in the evening. Draft of 101 men joined from 14th Hampshires.

3rd Batt: Batt still holding the line of the railway. At night Batt relieved by 8th Border Reg and moved back to Div support.

4th Batt: Batt relieved the 15th West Yorks in front of Hazebrouck. Batt HQ heavily shelled in evening and 2 OR killed.

10th Batt: After 48 hours of discomfort in support position, Batt returned to camp at Poperinghe.

Yeomanry/Cavalry: At 2pm the Reg was on the road again in blazing sun and there was little vegetation. Near Jericho the horses were watered in Cherith Brook and then Reg went on to camp on the wadi-intersected plain.

Home Front:

FOOD PRODUCTION –PAMPERING GERMAN PRISONERS – Committee’s Protest and Warning – A meeting of the Worcestershire War Agricultural Executive Committee was held today. The Chairman and other members spoke of the damage to the wheat crop by frost and wire worm, the Chairman saying that he was afraid the prospect was not rosy. Therefore it behoved them to do all they could. The question of the attitude of farmers and others to German prisoners was again discussed. The Chairman said that some of the farmers were much too friendly with the prisoners and that also applied to other people. The farmers were giving cider and cigarettes to these prisoners. He came across the case of a girl in a train who asked a lady to change seats in order that she could kiss (sic) her hand to German prisoners. That sort of thing was a disgrace and ought to be stopped. (hear hear)

CITY POLICE COURT – MONTH FOR DRUNKEN WOMAN – Alice Mable, married woman, 4 Wellington Gardens, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in St Swithins Street. P.C. Greaves said that the woman had a big crowd following her. She said that she had better give up the drink because when she had it she did not know what she was doing. She had been before the Court ten times, eight for being drunk and twice had been sentenced to seven days. He asked the Bench to take a serious view of her conduct. The Bench sent her down for a month’s hard labour.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team