Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over July 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 3

11th July 1918 - Arrested at Worcester

Rolling casualty count: 10228

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt in training in very wet weather.

2nd Batt: Batt were allotted baths and were cleaning up

4th Batt: Musketry and gas drill were carried out on the ground behind the bridge. In pm all Coy Commanders accompanied the CO to reconnoitre the training area for a flagged attack.

Home Front:

The City Coroner held an inquest at the Guildhall on Wednesday evening concerning the death of Mr. Harry Joseph White (42), nurseryman and seedsman, whose body was recovered from the canal near Bilford Lock on Tuesday. Mrs. Louisa White, the widow, said she had enjoyed good health, except for heart attacks, which she thought cycle riding brought on, and on one occasion he was brought home from the County Cricket Ground after an attack. He suffered from giddiness, trembling, and palpitation. She had never heard him threaten to take his life. The Coroner said the only question for the Jury was how deceased got into the water. The evidence showed that his domestic relations were happy. It might be that he had other troubles but the question was whether it was worthwhile to consider them in view of the evidence that he might have had an attack of giddiness while riding and have fallen into the water. The Jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death,” and expressed sympathy with the widow and relations.

Arrested at Worcester: Olive Garcia (27) and Kathleen King (26), were charged at Cardiff, on Monday, with stealing a gold bracelet, two costumes, a skirt, and £8 in notes, the property of Mary Pond. Defendants, who are sisters, engaged apartments at the house of the complainant in Edward Terrace, in February last, and the robbery was committed whilst Mrs. Pond was out. They absconded and were eventually arrested on a warrant at Rainbow Hill, Worcester, by D.S. Handley. They had been working at a Worcester Factory. Defendants both pleaded guilty and asked for leniency. Several previous convictions for similar offences were proved. Both prisoners were sentenced to six months’ hard labour.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team