Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over July 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 1

22nd July 1918 - Death Follows Accident

Rolling casualty count: 10255

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt enbussed for the Line at 11.30am and relieved 1/4th KOSB in Support at Petit Vimy.

2nd Batt: Batt E Coy American Batt took over the command of the Line. HQ moved to the Brown Line.

4th Batt: Batt marched at 9am to Zuypteene, west of Cassel arriving at 12 noon. There was little accommodation for the Batt until 70 bivouacs were received. The Division has transferred from the 15th Corps to the 10th Corps.

1/7th Batt: Batt went to Front Line left relieving the 10th DWR.

1/8th Batt: Batt moved to Suport relieving the 9th Green Howards.

Home Front:

At the City Police Court, today, the London Central Meat Co. and George Bishop (41), their manager, 38, St. Dunstan’s Crescent, were charged with selling half a pound of beef suet above the maximum price. The prosecution’s case was that Bishop, manager of the Company’s shop at St. John’s sold to Mr. A. G. Pegram, of Foley Road, St. John’s, half a pound of suet at 9d. which was 1d. above the maximum price at which beef suet could be sold. When the Food Control Committee’s officer, Mr. W.E. Davies, went with Pegram to the shop Bishop produced a communication from the firm telling him that “kidney knobs” could be sold, under the Order, at 1s. 6d. per lb. The defence was that “kidney knobs,” which was the only kind of imported suet the Company dealt in, could be sold at 1s 6d. per lb. Bishop said that he had since sold Pigram suet at 1s 4d. per lb., but that was suet which came in a quarter of beef, but the sale in respect of which he was charged was a sale of “kidney knobs”; in fact the suet bore a label “kidney knobs, 1s. 6d. a lb.” The Bench said they had no option but to dismiss the case.

Death Follows Accident: Fielding Clayton (42), of 17, Cumberland Street, plater, admitted to the Infirmary on Wednesday evening suffering from injuries to the leg caused by an accident at Messrs. Heenan and Froudes, died on Saturday morning at 5 o’clock. The bone of the leg was broken and the muscles were badly mangled. An inquest will be held at 10am tomorrow.

Worcester Tribunals: Messrs. Kay and Co. resisted a N.S. appeal for Arthur James Allsopp (44), Grade 1, buyer and head of the drapery department; Frank Burbridge (44), plumber and painter had been given exemption conditional on doing “eight hours daily” on munitions. The Chairman said that that reminded him of the old saying, “Eight hours for play, eight hours for work, eight hours for sleep for eight bob a week.” (Laughter.)

In consequence of the serious shortage of hay available for the feeding of town horses, the Board of Trade have issued an Order, to come into operation on Thursday, which, in addition to prescribing the ration of chaff, requires that all chaff fed to horses shall contain not less than one third of straw and also that no hay whatever shall be fed without first being converted into chaff.

A week’s recruiting campaign for women war workers under the Ministry of Labour opened at Worcester on Saturday. Recruits are required for Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps, the Women’s Royal Naval Service, the Women’s Royal Air Force, the Women’s Land Army, the Ministry of Munitions Training Section, the Voluntary Aid Detachment, the Forage Department, and the Navy and Army and Canteens Board. A recruiting office for those various departments is open during the week at Messrs. Simes’ drapers, and recruits may also be enrolled at Employment Bureau. A recruiting rally was held on Saturday, when about 60 members of Q.M.A.A.C. from the Bristol Depot paraded the city. They arrived about mid-day at Foregate Street Station, and proceeded to the Guildhall, where they lunched. The Mayor said that if we were to win the war, not only must every man do his bit, but every woman must do hers. It had been demonstrated again and again that the women were just as anxious as the men to serve their country. They were asked to find 15,000 women in England, and that would mean that there would be 15,000 more bayonets at the front to protect our lines. The younger women were asked to come forward to fill those places, and fathers and mothers, masters and mistresses must not stand in their way.

Mrs. Hannis, 31, Boughton Street, St. John’s, has just received a postcard from her only son, Pte. John Douglas Hannis, who was reported missing on the 27th of May, saying that he is wounded and a prisoner of war in Germany. He had been in the Army 18 months, and in France five weeks, when wounded and captured by the enemy. He was for two years with Messrs. Downs and Willes, of 75, High Street, and was later employed at Messrs. Willis’ boot factory, St. John’s. He is now 19 years of age.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team