Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over July 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 2

19th July 1918 - Mother’s Neglect

Rolling casualty count: 10250

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt in training am and later prepared for a move.

2nd Batt: The HLI sent out more strong patrols on our front consisting of 3 Officers and 140 OR. One prisoner was taken.

4th Batt: Sudden orders were received at midnight that Batt was to move to a new area. At 10 am, the Batt route marched to Pont D`Asquin, near Wardreques, arriving at 5.30pm. A draft of 6 OR joined Batt.

1/7th and 1/8th Batts: Batts moved on to Mare.

Home Front:

Thursday was a day of intermittent sunshine and shower, but the fete at Red Hill in aid of the Red Cross Depot at St. Nicholas Street, was held in the grounds, and, notwithstanding the rain, attracted a large number of visitors. Many of the lady workers from the Depot assisted at the stalls. The various stalls were well laden with articles, and the many patrons made generous purchases. Lady Deerhurst made a tour of the stalls. The stalls were fortunately accommodated in tents, but the ration teas were served in the open. Entertainments were given in an enclosure. Because of the uncertain weather a whist drive was held. A continent of Girl Guides, under Miss Williams, rendered useful help at the fete. Little Miss Rosemary Chignell collected for the Red Cross by means of a box strapped to a Shetland pony. Mdme. Louisa Curtis essayed to tell fortunes. The ground was not very favourable for such amusements as clock golf, but several of the other competitions were well patronised, the “bed making,” in which soldiers and civilians (of both sexes) entered, being most amusing.

The financial result of the fete to date is well over £200, which, considering the state of the weather, may be regarded as very satisfactory.

Women’s Quarrel: Norah Broomfield (63), widow, 10, Bridge Street, was summoned by Fanny Louisa Crump, widow, Bridge House, South Quay, for assault. There was a cross-summons by Mrs. Broomfield against Mrs. Crump. Both defendants pleaded guilty. Mrs. Crump said Mrs. Broomfield (who lodged with her) scratched her face with a teapot when she was blind drunk. Mrs. Broomfield said Mrs. Crump was the “terror of Worcester.” The quarrel arose over paying the rent Mrs. Broomfield said. Evidence was also given by Arthur Jenkins and Mrs. Phillips, and other witnesses who lived in the same house. Mrs. Broomfield said she was kicked “black and blue.” She admitted using “a bad word.” Mrs. Broomfield was fined £1, and the summons against Mrs. Crump dismissed.

Mother’s Neglect: Mary Walters, alias Mary Turner (38), 41, Farrier Street, was summoned by Inspector Stanton, N.S.P.C.C., for neglecting her five children in a manner likely to cause them unnecessary suffering and injury to their health. Defendant pleaded not guilty. She was in receipt of a separation allowance of 31s. per week as dependant of Sergt. Tanner of the Gloucestershire Regiment, although her husband was living, and was believed to be working in a munition factory. She had been working on munitions, and had left the five children unattended from early morning until late at night. The ages of the children were 10, 9, 5, 3 (the child who was in the Infirmary), and a baby of 18 months. The woman frequently brought home soldiers at night, and the children were living in immoral surroundings. A neighbour noticed that the boy aged three was very ill, and called the mother’s attention to it. Defendant, however, went off to work at 7.30 on the following morning. The boy of 10 was left at home to look after the boy that was ill. Another neighbour named Ditchfield went on his own initiative to fetch a doctor who reported the case to P.C. Guy. P.C. Guy said he went to the house and removed the child to the Infirmary, where he was found to be suffering from pneumonia. The child was taken in the box in which he slept, it was very cramped, measuring 28inches long, 18 inches wide, and 14 inches deep, and was not large enough for the boy to stretch himself. The woman did not return until 8 o’clock, and shortly after went out again with a soldier. The boy was very ill for the first day or two, and was not expected to live, but was now improving. The smallness of the box and the lack of attention had exposed the child to unnecessary suffering and injury to his health. The Chairman said it was a very bad case, and the woman was living a bad life and setting a bad example to the children. Had the boy died she would have been in a very serious position. The Magistrates had seriously considered sending her to prison, but had decided to give her another chance, and inflicted a fine of £3. The imprisonment in default was one month, and she would have a fortnight in which to pay. Defendant said she would not pay. She was being taunted by the neighbours, who said that she “dressed like a lady.”

Red Cross Workers’ Outing: On Thursday afternoon the Mayor and Mayoress (Ald. and Mrs. Carlton) entertained the Red Cross workers from the Guildhall Depot. This year the Mayoress issued invitations to about 130 workers and a few friends to a river trip on the steamer Holt Castle to Bushley Shrubberies. Mr. Austin’s band played suitable music, and vocalists contributed to the entertainment.

Battenhall Hospital Pound Day: The returns for Battenhall Hospital Pound Day are now complete. The receipts in money amounted to £103, the gifts in kind have been valued at £62. Among the special gifts were many useful household items from Messrs. Williamson and Son, valued at £12 12s. one gross of bottles of sauce from Messrs. Lea and Perrins, and clothing from the two Worcester Red Cross Depots. A good deal of tea was given by confectioners in the city, a large part of the printing was done free by Messrs. Littlebury, the china for the teas was lent by Mrs. Winkle, and all expenses were paid by private subscription.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team