Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over July 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 3

20th July 1918 - Mrs. Ellen Dancox to receive late husband's Victoria Cross from the King

Rolling casualty count: 10253

War Front:

1st Batt: Batt marched to Woincourt Station and entrained at 9am. Batt detrained at Aubigny and marched to Camblain L`Abbe.

2nd Batt: The Americans took over and relieved our front Line Coys who went into the Brown Line.

4th Batt: There was an inspection of iron rations, small box respirators etc. Classes held for Lewis gunners, signalling and scouting for 4 men per coy under Capt. C Hackett MC, DCM and for observers under Lt W Hamer.

1/7th and 1/8th Batts: Men rested after the march.

14th Batt: A battery position near Beaussart was bombarded by the enemy. One shell crushed a dug-out, burying its occupants. The gunners sent word for help and a working party from the Batt came to their aid. Pte G Mays worked his way into the gas-filled dug-out. After 4 hours of labour under continuous bombardment, he succeeded in rescuing 5 wounded gunners.

Home Front:

The Dolday V.C: Mrs. Ellen Dancox, 5 House, Bull Entry, Worcester, widow of Pte. Frederick George Dancox, V.C., Worcestershire Regiment, not having received any notification of the date on which the Cross would be presented to her as his next of kin, Mr. H.J. Aubrey, of the Cross (who undertook the organisation and collection of the Dancox V.C. Memorial Fund) wrote to the War Office. In reply he has received two letters. One (which is signed personally by the King) says that it is a matter of sincere regret to him that the death of Pte. Dancox deprived him of the pride of personally conferring upon Pte. Dancox the Victoria Cross, the greatest of all rewards for valour and devotion to duty. The other letter, from the War Office, states that Mrs. Dancox will receive due notice of the command to appear before the King and receive, at his hands, the Victoria Cross awarded to her husband. It is expected that the presentation will take place very shortly.

Alexandra Rose Day was celebrated in the city and district today. The weather was not bright, nor quite dependable, but after the downpours of the last few days it might be considered highly favourable. Many of the helpers were the same this year as last year, and there seemed a great many of them ready to sell roses to those who were earliest astir. Mrs. Ernest Day acted as Hon. Secretary, as she has done now for several years. Last year she found herself with too many roses, and so this year she ordered only 120 gross of them from John Groom’s Home for Crippled Girls. To this there must be added 130 gross left over from last year. The donations of money this year are unfortunately by no means what they were hoped to be. Ordinarily they are enough to cover the expenses of the day, but this year they are only about half the usual amount subscribed.

The concert which is being organised by Lieut.-Col. W.R. Chichester in aid of the Worcestershire Prisoners of War Fund at the Theatre Royal (kindly lent for the occasion by the Mayor) on Thursday, August 1, at 2.30, already promises to be a big success. It is being well supported in the county and city. “Top of the bill,” of course, is Miss Fifine de la Côte, the celebrated soprano. Then there is that universal favourite, Mr. Charles Tree, who has brought the art of ballad singing – grave and gay – to a fine art, and who has recently returned from giving concerts to the troops in France. Seats can be obtained at the Post Office, Theatre Royal, of Messrs. Elgar, and of Messrs. Spark, or from Lieut. Coningsby Clark, Norton Barracks.

A recruiting rally in connection with Queen Mary’s Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps was held at Worcester today. About 60 girls and women from the Bristol depot paraded the city, headed by the Band of the 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment. Meetings were held at the Guildhall, and in the Sheep Market. At the Guildhall Col. Chichester presented the Military Medal and bar to Pte. J.G. Harvey, Worcestershire Regiment, awarded for bravery in tending wounded while under fire.

City Police Court: Pte. John Thomas O’Shea (34), 1, Hood Street, was charged with being an absentee from the Worcestershire Regiment. Prisoner, who said that he thought he would have a day or two for himself, as he was “going over” for the fourth time, and he might not come back, was remanded to await an escort.

Worcester Tribunals: Mr. Hemming, representing Messrs. W. and F. Webb, Ltd., applied for Howard Ernest Cox (48), Grade 2, married, house furniture remover and storage foreman. Mr. Frank Webb said the firm had five stores, and had in them the baggage of five of the Worcestershire Battalions, which had continually to be turned over to find the property of men who had been killed or had been discharged. Three months; Messrs. Hill, Evans and Co. applied for James S. Wookey (47), married, Grade 2, assistant brewer. Lieut. Dixon said he was satisfied that the firm had one their utmost in releasing men. Wookey works from five in the morning till five at night, and he lives at Trotshill. Six months; excused Volunteers.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team