Key dates over October 1918
Lives lost on this day: 24
20th October 1918 - Military Cross for VC winner
Rolling casualty count: 11212
2nd Batt: the transport moved by road to Wormhoudt en route for Watten area. Coys paraded for medical inspections.
3rd Batt: Batt moved back to the forward area near Locon.
4th Batt: Weather cloudy but enemy artillery still very active, firing on Strazeele. Enemy aircraft busy during the day, flying low over our lines. Batt moved to the Front Line relieving the 2nd SW Borderers in the right sub-sector. An enemy machine gun swept the road through Outtersteene Village. Major JR Frend DSO, 2nd Leinster Reg took over command of the Batt. A draft of 6 OR joined.
Wor’shire Honours – M.C. for Captain James V.C. – Lieut (Temp Capt.) H James V.C., Worc. R. - During an attack he rode forward when the situation was obscure under very heavy fire and brought back most valuable information. He then re-organised and led forward parties of men from other units and skilfully formed a defensive flank where a gap had occurred, exposing himself for many hours to very heavy fire. By his gallantry, coolness and utter disregard for personal safety he set a splendid example to all ranks. Capt. James was the first member of the Worcester Regt. to win the V.C., which he was awarded in December 1915, for services at Gallipoli. He has also been awarded the Croix de Guerre, and has been mentioned in despatches.
Meritorious Medal for Redditch Soldier – Pte T Guise, whose home is at the Market Place, Redditch, has been awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for bravery on the Western Front in November 1917. Before joining the forces, he was employed at Messrs Thomas and Sons, Redditch. His employers and his fellow workmen have just presented Pte Guise with a gold watch, suitably inscribed, in recognition of his distinction.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- 2/Lt. Gordon Henderson Barber 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Arthur Bowden 52270 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Leonard Courtney 202102 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Frederick Charles Cubbage 42671 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Downing 263018 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Charles Alex Fletcher att. R.A.F
- L/Cpl. Vernon Dockeray Johnson 48114 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Herbert Howard Marshall 204113 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Alexander McArthur 14739 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harold Lloyd McLean 42986 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Charles Pearce 15137 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Herbert Pearce 11151 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Thomas Ralphs 39551 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Simpson 43877 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Islwyn Stanford 48856 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas George Supple 53006 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. George Tonks 11579 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank William Turberfield 41139 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Saddler Alexander Charles Jeffrey 840986 - Royal Field Artillery
- Dvr. Artis Alfred Roberts 846265 - Royal Field Artillery
- Rifleman Ernest Philpot 52608 - Royal Irish Rifles
- Pte. Francis Edwin Crow 102301 - Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
- Pte. John Fry Pegg 251332 - Worcester Yeomanry
- Gunner William Wright 297286 - Royal Garrison Artillery