Key dates over October 1918
Lives lost on this day: 17
12th October 1918 - County Cadet Movement
Rolling casualty count: 11063
1st Batt: The Batt moved forward and occupied the Railway Cutting from la Motte to Beaumont. 6 OR were wounded.
4th Batt: Enemy artillery carried out heavy fire on our back areas. Y Coy was relieved from the position in Strazeele Avenue by a Coy of 2nd Royal Fusiliers and moved north of the village into the Court Croix Switch.
County Cadet Movement – Viscount Deerhurst and Pacifist Propaganda – A meeting of the County Cadet and Juvenile Organisations Committee was held at the Shirehall on Monday afternoon. Viscount Deerhurst presided. General Scallon made a statement on Cadets and military service and spoke of the feeling that the effort to induce boys to join Cadet Corps was the thin edge of the wedge to train the boys for military service. But in the present circumstances every boy, as soon as he reached military age, must join the Army or the Navy. If, therefore they could do something to ensure that the time the boy spent in the Army was shorter and more efficient, no one could say that it would not be for the good of the boys.
Wor’shire Honours – Military Cross – Sec Lt T Wilford R.F.A. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when his battery was covering the retirement of infantry and other batteries. As the enemy approached closely he took command of all the men who could be spared, and with rifles protected the flanks of the battery while the guns remained firing, and finally kept the enemy off when the teams were brought up and the guns withdrawn. He set a magnificent example to his men.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Patrick William Cassidy 11047 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Lt. Hilgrove Croydon-Fowler 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. George Edward Excell 18644 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Richard Fagg 57811 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Frank Foreman 16199 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. George William Harris 57758 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Hodgetts 29802 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Albert Liversidge 12605 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry John Matthews 35410 - 9th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Charles Peats 15049 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Edward Piper 35494 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Walter Robertshaw 30177 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Lolley 307409 - Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Pte. Leonard Steptoe SE/18484 - Army Veterinary Corps
- Gunner Norman George Gardner 107944 - Royal Field Artillery
- Gunner Roland Henry Summers 831788 - Royal Field Artillery
- Pte. Sidney Barnes 66601 - Devonshire Regiment