Key dates over October 1918
Lives lost on this day: 13
16th October 1918 - Austro-Hungarian government announces the country is to become a federal nation based on its many nationalities. Hungary is to remain as a separate kingdom.
Rolling casualty count: 11151
1st Batt: The picket line east of Flers was held but no further advance was made.
4th Batt: Coys at the disposal of OC Coys for inspections and drill. A cricket match was held in the evening, officers versus Sgts and Sgts won.
Martley Council and Guardians – Coal for Several Parishes – The Acting Clerk reported that the loan for the steam tractor had been paid off. With reference to the coal stored in various centres for use in case of emergency. At the August meeting it was decided to get 110 tons – 66 from Pensax and 56 from Worcester. Ninety tons had been delivered and stored, and of this 70 tons had come from Pensax. They had sent another ten tons to Broadheath, 15 had to come from Worcester for Leigh. In Hallow they only had 13 tons 15cwt. They had a big population and it was suggested that the amount should be increased to 20 tons. The medical officer reported a case of diphtheria at North Hallow. He reported also that he had visited many of the hop pickers at quarters during the picking and found them satisfactory.
Worcestershire and The War - Squadron Sergt. Major’s Distinguished Services – Squadron Sergt-Major Norman Brodie of the Worcester Yeomanry (son of Mrs Brodie, Woodbury, Malvern Link) has been brought to notice “for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty” by General Sir E Allenby, in his despatch of April 3rd 1918.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. William Adey 11483 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Seth Thomas Hinghley 203960 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Jay 202992 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Heber Jones 40070 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Edward Muscat 34402 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick William Smith 35996 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Griffin 13330 - Dorsetshire Regiment
- Pte. Arthur Reynolds 43892 - Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment
- Rifleman Frank Hill 5051 - Royal Irish Rifles
- Spr. George Spence 96660 - Royal Engineers
- Cpl. Joseph Baker 172581 - Royal Engineers
- Gunner Joseph While 213051 - Royal Garrison Artillery
- Pte. Thomas Albert Hunt 43072 - Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment