Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over September 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 8

23rd September 1918 - Pleaded guilty to stealing 24 bottles of whisky

Rolling casualty count: 10681

War Front:

2nd Batt: The 2 front Coys consolidated their position and an attempt was made to capture the cross-roads. Posts were pushed towards Gloucester Road. The enemy tried to counter attack but were dispersed by our artillery. The Ration Party was shelled at the dump, with 4 casualties. The Eschelon was shelled and 2 limbers were blown up.

3rd Batt: Batt relieved by the 10th Royal Warwicks and moved to the support Line.

4th Batt: Adjutant and 4 Coy C reconnoitred the Front Line, preparatory to taking over from the 86th and 87th Infantry Brigades.

Yeomanry /Cavalry: Reg was ordered to march back to Ain Shibleh to picket the Shibleh to Beison road. Aeroplane information showed that the enemy was in a triangle formation, formed by Tubas Beison, Ain Shibleh and Wadi Fara. It was mountainous and well watered. After mid-day the Reg found the remains of 2 Turkish regiments bivouacked at Kh Umm esh Sheibeh and 2000 of them surrendered to C Squadron. At the same time, 2 Austrian officers went to D Squadron under a white flag and said that all Turks and Germans at Wadi Mahleh ahead wanted to surrender.

Home Front:

At the City Police Court, today, John Alfred Dayton (23), miner, Llanhillett, and William Evan Rowland (20), Pengan, pleaded guilty to stealing 24 bottles of whisky and 72 bottles of wine, to the value of £23 8s., the property of the G.W. Railway Company. On April 8th last at midnight P.C. Blincowe, a railway constable, heard some conversation in a truck. He fetched a foreman named Cooper, and they listened and again heard conversation. Cooper examined the tarpaulin in the truck, and found that it was tied all round. He untied the tarpaulin and got into the truck, and he found that goods in it were in disorder. Cases of spirits had been broken open and chocolate and cocoa lay about. In defence of Dayton, Mr. Harrison said that he had been led away by Rowland. Dayton had served in France, and, after five years’ service, he was discharged with an exemplary character. He had bronchitis and was a time-expired man. Rowland said he could not remember anything about the matter. He joined the Army in 1914, and was a deserter from the Army. He left Hereford because the police were after him. Prisoner said he had 14 days’ leave, and on the last day his brother, a discharged soldier, died. That broke his heart, and he went away and took his brother’s discharge. Both prisoners were sentenced to four months’ hard labour.

City Police Court: Wm. Thomas, 51, Proctor Street, Nechells, Birmingham, was charged with fishing with a rod and line in the Severn, without a proper license. Henry Burnham, water bailiff, said defendant said that he forgot to get a license. He was fined 10s. Edward Stokes, 16, Proctor Street, Nechells, who was fishing with Thomas, was fined a similar amount for a similar offence.

Henry Mable (46), blacksmith, Copenhagen Street, was charged with deserting his wife, Alice, of 4, Wellington Gardens. Complainant said that her husband came home, threatened to throw the cooked meat at her, but her son intervened. Later he kicked her and went outside. He then got through the window and threatened her. Since he left her in June he had sent her only 12s. a week to support her and her three children. Defendant’s story was that his wife neglected him, and that he did not desert her, but that she locked him out. He alleged that his wife was intemperate. He was quite willing to take care of the children but his wife was able to work. Inspector Stanton, of the N.S.P.C.C., questioned by the Bench, said the woman kept her children and home clean, but he had had to complain about her drunkenness. Defendant was ordered to pay 18s. a week towards the support of his wife and children. He said that he should not pay it; the police could take him “down” at once.

Shop Hours: The Mayor will preside at a meeting at the Guildhall on Thursday, at 6 o’clock, to discuss the question of earlier closing of shops, in view of the lighting restrictions.

Less Meat and More to Pay: Changes in the meat ration, which came into force on Sunday, include an increase of 2d. a lb. in butcher’s meat, except pork, the value of the coupon reduced from 5d. to 4d., and a generally lower quantity of meat served by caterers. Pork will be dearer on October 6th.

Summer time will end at 3am (summer time) on Monday next, when the clocks will be put back to 2am, which will be the ordinary Greenwich time. Employers should give notice of the coming change to their workpeople. Many people will find it convenient to put their clocks back one hour before going to bed on Sunday night. The hands of striking clocks should not be moved backwards. They should be put forward eleven hours, allowing the clock to strike fully each time.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team