Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over August 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 2

14th August 1918 - Survivors’ Stories of Steamer Accident

Rolling casualty count: 10368

War Front:

2nd Batt: Batt was relieved by 1/5th Scottish Rifles in support of Left Sector between Vlamertinghe and Dickebusche.

3rd Batt: Batt moved back to reserve at Chocques.

4th Batt: Weather was very hot and there were no day working parties. The 88th Infantry Brigade as relieved by the 87th Infantry Brigade, the1st Border Reg relieving the Batt.

Home Front:

Drowning Case at Diglis – Survivors’ Stories of Steamer Accident – The City Coroner conducted the inquest at the Guildhall today, on Annie Stroud, back of 139 Great Francis Street, Saltley, munitions worker, aged 21, who was drowned at Diglis on Friday evening as a result of the accident to the steamer Princess Beatrice, which was on the return journey from Tewkesbury to Stourport. After evidence of identification had been given by her father, Frederick Stroud, the deceased’s companion, Maud Raven, who had been staying with her at Stourport, was questioned about the incident before the accident. She said that the boat’s engines stopped just before they entered the lock gates. She felt the boat bump into the upper gates and then there was panic. She was not at all nervous after the bump until the panic started. That was caused by the water flowing over the bow. All the people rushed to the other end. Miss Stroud and witness went to the bow end and there they saw people climbing up the ladder and others climbed up the lock gates. Captain Palmer tried to quell the panic. He said to the passenger “keep quiet; keep on the boat”. When she asked him if they were safe he said they were. Miss Stroud climbed on the gate and fell into the lock. The Captain was sober: he was not steering the boat. Her companion was very frightened, half frantic. Witness never left the boat, but her friend stood on the seat and tried to get up the gates, when she fell she never came up again.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team