Key dates over August 1918
Lives lost on this day: 12
7th August 1918 - Sudden Death at Hallow
Rolling casualty count: 10320
1st Batt: Batt was relieved in am by the 1st Sherwood Foresters. Batt embused at La Targuette crossroads and proceeded to Durham and Lancaster Camp, Mont St Eloy.
2nd Batt: The enemy shelled the advanced posts heavily am 1 OR was killed and 3 ORs wounded.
3rd Batt: It was a quiet day and in the evening word came that the enemy had withdrawn from the Division on our left. Patrols were sent out and were able to advance some 800 yards with no opposition.
4th Batt: At about 6am, 30 of the enemy attempted to rush our extreme right post under cover of heavy mist. They were driven off before reaching the posts. Wiring and connecting of trenches continued. Our artillery kept up harassing fire day and night.
Worcester Volunteer’s Camp – Time of Departure – There has been an alteration in the train arrangements for Saturday. A and B Companies will parade at Silver Street at 4.45pm; the train leaves Foregate Street at 5.31 p.m. Any Volunteer who cannot travel by this train can proceed to Camp by a later train, obtaining his ticket from the booking clerk at Foregate Street Station.
Sudden Death at Hallow – A case of sudden death is reported from Hallow. Stephen Philpotts (62) a labourer, of 45 Hallow Road, who was employed by Mrs F Smith of Hallow, for several years, died in her orchard suddenly on Thursday. He left home in his usual health at 7.30. He was crossing the orchard about 12.30 when he felt ill and sat down. He was attended to and was just about to be removed when he died.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Edward Stanley Sealey 57619 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Raybould 203588 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. John Percival Pryce 241348 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Joshua Nicholls 42776 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Harry Ernest Kettlety 11793 - Grenadier Guards
- L/Cpl. Arthur Hemming P/3218 - Corps of Military Police
- Pte. Albert. Groom 42999 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Norman Goulding 43183 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pioneer Harry Cooper WR/351242 - Royal Engineers
- Pte. John William Chambers 25135 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Catton 41033 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Burdekin 41966 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg