Key dates over August 1918
Lives lost on this day: 18
9th August 1918 - Local Honours Military Crosses Awarded
Rolling casualty count: 10346
1st Batt: Day devoted to re-organisation and inspections, four officers and 25 OR joined Batt.
2nd Batt: There was an artillery bombardment on Voormezeele but no enemy retaliation. C Coy moved forward and occupied advanced posts after dark. Batt relieved by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and moved back to the Green Line.
3rd Batt: Batt advanced some 200 yards but the flank batts could not advance. The enemy had retreated deliberately to secure a better line of defence.
4th Batt: A light field gun shelled our trenches and approaches in the early hour. Sgt Lillis of Z Coy was killed. Batt relieved by the 2nd Hants and moved back to support around Strazeele. Lt GT Uren wounded by a bullet.
1/8th Batt: Batt rested in Divisional Reserve at Granezza.
Local Honours – Military Cross – Temp. Sec. Lieut H Woods, Worc Regt. When in command of a Lewis gun team he held up the enemy advance for a considerable time. After several of the team had been hit, he took charge of the gun himself and continued to fire, although wounded, until the order to withdraw was sent forward to him. His inspiring example throughout the action had a splendid morale effect on the troops under his command.
Prisoners of War Week in Malvern – Recruiting Rally: Presentation of Medals - On Thursday a contingent of Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps paraded the district headed by the Band of the Worcestershire Regiment on the occasion of a flag day for the Worcestershire Prisoners of War Fund, on behalf of which appeals were made, and at the same time there was a recruiting rally for the W.A.A.C’S
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Rifleman James Green 56006 - King's Royal Rifle Corps
- Pte. Harold St. George Dale 51487 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Walter Cooper 57530 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. David John Ashton 41581 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Sgt. John Walter Green 33628 - Border Regiment
- 2/Lt. William Hale 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. George Lillis 50523 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Edward Mason 241644 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Charles Mooney 50808 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Alexander Simpson 235360 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Joseph Slocombe 51315 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick James Spicer 50827 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Bdr. John Ashley Stinton 831038 - Artillery Territorial Force
- Bdr. John Ashley Stinton 831036 - Royal Field Artillery
- Pte. Ernest Swinbourne 28729 - Hampshire Regiment
- Sgt. Alfred Reginald Wall 240472 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Ralph Leonard Weale 57536 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Charles Wright 51353 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg