Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over June 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 46

18th June 1918 - Dissatisfaction with their medical grading

Rolling casualty count: 10152

War Front:

1st Batt: Ten officers and 120 OR joined the Batt.

2nd Batt: Major Stoney MC awarded the DSO, Capt Pointon was awarded MC, Rev EV Tanner awarded a bar to his MC. There was a conference at Batt HQ, held by Brigade Commander, attended by CO Machine Gun Coy and Artillery Liaison Officer to arrange for the raid. 4 OR wounded.

4th Batt: Orders received to raid Antile Farm with 2nd Leinsters on the right. Orders later cancelled for this Batt.

1/7th Batt: Batt in the Reserve line.

Home Front:

We have received letters from a number of correspondents expressing dissatisfaction with their medical grading. We are obliged to decide that the decisions of the Medical Board in individual cases cannot be properly discussed in newspaper correspondence. Individuals who consider that they have been too highly graded have an opportunity of appeal to the Medical Assessors. Consent to appear before this medical appeal authority is given now rather differently from the method in the past. Application has to be made to the Clerk to the Tribunal for a medical appeal form, which should be filled up and sent in within five days of the grading, enclosing copies of private medical certificates on which the applicant bases the appeal to have the grading reduced.

On Monday, at the Guildhall, the City Coroner (Mr. W.B. Hulme) held an inquest on the body of an unknown man which was dragged from the river at Kepax. P.C. Knight found the body on Saturday evening just above Kepax Ferry. It was floating and the constable obtained a boat and towed it to the Dog and Duck Ferry and from there took it to the mortuary. The body was fully dressed, except for a collar and tie. In the pockets there were a few things such as pen-knives, handkerchiefs, a clay pipe, etc. There were no marks on the linen or handkerchiefs. Witness thought the body had been in the river about a fortnight or three weeks. It was that of a man of about 40 years of age. P.C. Fisher (Coroner’s Officer) thought the age of the man would be 45 to 50. The Coroner said it was difficult to say how long the body had been in the river. The Jury returned a verdict of “Found drowned.”

The marriage of Captain Basil M. Niblett, Worcestershire Regt., only son of Rev. H.M. and Mrs. Niblett, Redmarley and Miss Betty Cook, daughter of the late Mr. Charles Cook, Hardwicke Manor, Worcester, will take place on July 2nd, in London.

The death occurred at his residence in the Arboretum Road on Sunday of Mr. Franklin Chalmers, for 17 years the dispenser of the Worcester Amalgamated Friendly Society Medical Association. He has been off duty for only a week and succumbed to the effects of a seizure with which he was attacked on Saturday. He was a very competent official of the Association and his death will be regretted by a very large number of citizens with whom he came into contact at the institution and by whom he was held in high esteem.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team