Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over January 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 1

22nd January 1918 - Homes plan gets go-ahead to commemorate Gheluvelt

Rolling casualty count: 8478

War Front:

2nd Batt: There were baths for the men and MO inspections. The Armourer Sgt inspected the rifles. 2Lts A Rudd and A Hurley joined the Batt and were posted to B and C Coys.

3rd Batt: Batt relieved by part of the Loyal North Lancs who took over the Brigade Front. I Batt is in Front line, 1 in support, 1 in reserve and 1 on work only.

4th Batt: 80 OR of X Coy had baths at Dead end. 50 OR of Z Coy had inspection of small box respirators by Brigade Gas NCO at Wieltje.

2/8th Batt: Batt relieved the 2.7th Warwicks in right sub sector. It was a quiet part of the line but held very thinly with 7 posts in the Front line from 200 to 300 yards apart. This line is a shallow trench but the wire is good. 8 OR arrived from Base.

10th Batt: Batt cleaning up clothes and equipment.

Home Front:

Corporal G. Allen, of the R.F.A., has been awarded the D.C.M. for a very brave action in the Ypres salient. He was born in Little Park Street, and went to Worcester Board School. Later he worked for R.T. Smith and Co., and afterwards for three years as a vanman for Messrs. Shuter and Flay…In the Ypres salient, his resource in a moment of danger gained his distinction. A fuse hit the breech of his gun. He seized the fuse while it was still burning, ran with it for 12 or 14 yards, and flung it over a parapet of earth. He knew that it might burst at any moment after he seized it, but happily it did not do so until it reached earth. He had instantly thrown himself to the gourn and his comrades had taken shelter, with fortunate result that not one of them suffered the smallest injury. Had he left it, it would probably have caused an explosion among the supplies, with greater danger to the men and the guns…With the incorrigible good spirits of our fighting men he makes a mere jest of the fact that on one occasion he and four others were buried by a shell and had to be dug out.

Worcester Child Abandoned: At the City Police Court today, Marie Ramsay, alias Marie Claxon, 7, Moor Street, was summoned for abandoning a child, Lawrence Rouse Everiss, aged three months, in a manner likely to cause it unnecessary suffering and injury to its health, by leaving him on a doorstep at Field House, Wylds Lane…The Chief Constable said that in December the woman had the care of the child referred to – an illegitimate child, given to her by his mother – and on the date named she took the child to Field House and left it in a perambulator at the door and went off…Sister Jane was in charge of Field House, and in consequence of a message brought her at 7.30 pm on December 22 she went to the door and found the baby. As there was no one with the baby, the baby was sent to the Workhouse…Asked why she did not wait at Field House, defendant replied: Because I thought Sister Jane would make me take the baby home again, and I didn’t want any Coroner’s inquests at my house. Why should I be dragged into the Court through “the dirty likes of those” (pointing to Everiss)…The Bench imposed a fine of 10s. Defendant volubly objected to the decision, and said her license to take children was unstained. The Clerk said her license would not be endorsed.

A meeting of the Mayor’s Committee was held at the Guildhall on Saturday last…The Mayor stated that about £2,800 was actually in hand for the Homes for Sailors and Soldiers’ fund, and that there were subscriptions promised which would bring in another £1,000, so that, while funds were still urgently needed, the success of the scheme was already assured. It was unanimously resolved that the central block of the Homes be erected in commemoration of the action of the 2nd Worcestershires at Gheluvelt.

Having a consignment of 50 rabbits, Mr. Roberts, fishmonger, Broad Street, exhibited a notice that he would have “a few rabbits for sale at 9.30” this morning. The news rapidly spread, and a crowd of nearly 100 women, mainly from working-class homes, assembled at that hour, and they were quickly followed by others. Mr. Roberts saw he could not hope to serve them all, but in order that as few as possible should be disappointed, he decided to cut each rabbit in halves and sold them at the regulation price, 10½d each…In connection with this sale there was one altruistic act which deserves mention in these days when many of a different character are related. On lady with a large household had ordered two, but when she saw the eager throng of women each being served with half a rabbit, told Mr. Roberts to cut hers up, and she would manage somehow without.

Pte. Ernest Watkins, the youngest son of Mrs. and the late Mr. Joseph Watkins, of the Bull Ring, Worcester, previously reported missing, is now reported killed in action. He had been at the front about 12 months.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team