Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over September 1917

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Lives lost on this day: 10

24th September 1917 - The inquest on the body of the man found on Saturday afternoon adjourned

Rolling casualty count: 7595

War Front:

1st Batt: In the Brigade Sports, the officers of the Batt won the tug of war.

2nd Batt: Batt moved into the Line in the pm relieving the 11th Sherwood Foresters, the 9th Yorks and 11th West Yorks in the left sector.

4th Batt: The Front Line, Support Line and HQ were shelled from 7.30 to 8.30 by 5.9s and 4.2s. The whole line was shelled with gas shells. The 2 front Coys and Z Coy were relieved by supporting Coys W and Y on account of need for relief from gas and fog. Very little work was done.

2/7th Batt: Batt relieved 2nd Yorks as right support in the left subsection, Greenland Hill Sector.

2/8th Batt: Batt went into the Front Line at Greenland Hill taking over from the 7th East Yorks. The relief was without incident.

10th Batt: Men had baths and there was reorganisation of platoons.

Home Front:

On Saturday afternoon Mr. Stanley Baldwin, M.P. for West Worcestershire, paid his first official visit to his constituents since his appointment as Financial Secretary to the Treasury, when he addressed the joint annual meeting of the Women’s and Men’s Conservative Associations. Mr. Baldwin made an important speech in reply to a vote of congratulation on his appointment, in which he urged the imperative necessity of continued economy in food, and spoke of the need of the utmost support being given to the Government. In this connection he deprecated the formation of the new National Party.

The King and Queen this morning left Windsor Castle, where they had been in residence for about seven weeks and returned by motor car to Buckingham Palace. The King held a Privy Council at Buckingham Palace shortly before noon today. Earl Curzon of Kedleston was sufficiently recovered from his indisposition to attend in his capacity as Lord President of the Council. His Majesty disposed of matters relating especially to Scotland and business arising out of the war.

The inquest on the body of the man found on Saturday afternoon in the Severn near the Dog and Duck Ferry was this morning adjourned for a fortnight, pending investigations as to the deceased’s identity. The City Coroner (Mr. W.B. Hulme) said that no letters were found on the body, which had apparently been in the water for seven or eight days. An official description of the body is as follows: Age, about 40 years; length, 5ft 5in.; build, slim; complexion, fresh; round face; eyes, brown; hair, very dark brown, turning grey; false teeth, one tooth stopped with gold.

City Police Court: Tradesman’s Offence; Frederick George Parkin, 17, Tything, was charged with obstructing the footway with a blind. P.C. Lawley said that, being called there on Monday morning, he found on measurement that the blind was 6ft. from the pavement instead of the regulation 8ft. Defendant said that the blind had been torn and he had been unable to get it repaired. Defendant was fined 10s.

City Police Court: Withdrawn: In the case of Kathleen Davey, married woman, 13, Upper Park Street, charged with neglecting her son, Mr. W.W.A. Tree, for the N.S.P.C.C., said that the boy was sent to the Cottage Homes, from which he had twice escaped, but arrangements had now been made for him to be received in a home at Greenwick. Therefore he asked for the case to be withdrawn. Granted.

Some time ago Mr. and Mrs. Winterbourne, at Messrs. Salmon and Gluckstein’s, The Cross, received news that their son, Sergt. E. Winterbourne, of the Queen’s Westminster Rifles, was reported missing after an engagement. They have now received from him a postcard stating that he is en route to Germany as a prisoner of war.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team