Key dates over August 1917
Lives lost on this day: 18
10th August 1917 - SERIOUS MOTOR ACCIDENT AT MALVERN
Rolling casualty count: 7019
2nd Batt: The Batt went for PT on the beach between Bray Dunes and La Panne. Men played leapfrog and the whole Batt bathed in the sea, returning to Camp at 1.30pm. A Batt team played the RAMC at cricket in the evening.
3rd Batt: The Coys on Bellewarde Ridge marched to Westhoek Ridge in support of the 13th Cheshire Reg who were taking part in an attack on the Blue Line.
At 4am the attack was launched provoking enemy artillery retaliation. At 7am the 74th Infantry brigade gained their objectives. Batt HQ and 2 remaining Coys moved into the right end of West Ridge. There were many casualties-Lt C Greenhilland Lt McKay were killled and Lt Randle was fatally wounded. 10 other ranks were killed and 41 wounded.
4th Batt: Coy training in marching on a compass bearing in artillery formation and extended order.
2/8th Batt: Batt practise trench to trench attack.
10th Batt: Batt cleaning up and training in saluting and the handling of arms.
AWARDED THE MILITARY CROSS – Friends of Captain W Gretton R.F.A., of Worcester will be pleased to learn he has been awarded the Military Cross; He has been at the front since January 1915.
SERIOUS MOTOR ACCIDENT AT MALVERN – On Wednesday afternoon, an accident of a serious nature occurred near the lower end of Graham Road, opposite the Link Common. Three men were riding in a Runabout motor car, which was smashed and the occupants badly injured. Dr Joshua, who, fortunately, was passing at the time, found two of the men laid out on the grass surrounded by a crowd, including Royal Engineers and wounded soldiers.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Alfred William Bates 25995 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Alfred Bishop 35688 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Samuel Cadman 15238 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Percy Ewins 34690 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Charles Rupert Farmer 39811 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Michael Furze 37179 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Percy Gears 39529 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Lt. Campbell Greenhill 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry James Hemming 13660 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Lewis John Jelfs 13252 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William George Ludlow 9210 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Joseph Whitehouse 203908 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Henry Williams 23254 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Wyer 16400 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Thomas Caddick 225321 - London Regiment
- Rifleman Charles Downton 2000 - Royal Irish Rifles
- Pte. Alfred Ernest Faithfull 225326 - London Regiment
- Pte. James Hobley 308104 - Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment