Key dates over August 1917
Lives lost on this day: 22
26th August 1917 - POTATO DISEASE IN THE CITY
Rolling casualty count: 7289
1st Batt: Batt relieved the 1st Batt, Auckland Reg in the line, south of Warneton.
2nd Batt: The whole Batt was allotted the spray baths at Coxyde.
4th Batt Church Parade for 2 Coys at 10am. The remaining Coys worked on the Track 11.
2/7th Batt: Batt relieved from the Front line by 2/8th Worcs. Batt kept in close support. 14 other ranks were killed and 1 officer and 2 other ranks
missing or killed.
1/8th Batt: Batt HQ plus A and B Coys moved from camp to the Line. Coys formed up in assembly trenches which were about 18 inches deep in water.
10th Batt: Batt was taken to bathe at Boulogne and were conveyed in motor buses.
WORCESTER (COUNTY) POLICE – Thomas Calder, no fixed abode, was charged with wandering abroad and lodging out in the open air at Bevere, Claines, without visible means of subsistence. F Barnard, special constable at Claines, found the prisoner lying down in a field near the river last night. He had a fire. As he could not give a satisfactory account of himself, witness brought him to the Police Station. He was sent to prison for seven days.
POTATO DISEASE IN THE CITY – Late Blight Prevalent – It is clear that the potato disease known as the late blight is prevalent in some parts of the city. Crops on allotments in the Comer District and in gardens in Bath Road districts have been found to be affected by it, and the growers are taking steps to save their crops.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Percy William Adams 235120 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Bourne 203691 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Burford 242496 - 2/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Alfred George Caley 200558 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Dean 41446 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Wilfred Dingsdale 41433 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Samson Ennis 201416 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Patrick Fitzgerald 41313 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Alfred Fossard 235142 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Charles Alfred Giles 200493 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Grinnell 240280 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. James Harrison 242566 - 1/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Haywood 201901 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Harold Higgs 201108 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Francis Vivian Hocking 202684 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Joseph Hudson 200583 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Harold Mills 200957 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Bert Novis 41349 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Frederick Potts 200465 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Smith 203412 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Benjamin Stanley 202008 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas John Spiers 23991 - Royal Warwickshire Regiment