Key dates over August 1917
Lives lost on this day: 20
11th August 1917 - NEW WAR GRATUITY FOR WIDOWS
Rolling casualty count: 7039
2nd Batt: Co inspected all kit in am. There were inter –platoon cricket matches in pm.
3rd Batt: Batt remained on West Ridge in support of the 13th Cheshire Reg who had lost heavily. During the pm the Rev EM Evans MC, who was attached to the Batt for 2 and a half years as Chaplain, was killed. He was unanimously loved. Capt HD Willis, RAMC, who was MO to the Batt, was mortally wounded. During the night the Batt was relieved and proceeded to the Railway Dugouts. Casualties for the 24 hours were12 other ranks killed and 49 wounded.
4th Batt: Brigadier Gen Caley discussed the coming attack with all officers. Coys were instructed in the attack using the model.
1/8th Batt: There was a Brigadier`s conference for Batt staff and Coy Commanders
10th Batt: Batt moved by train to Nielleas-Les- Blequin and went to Wizerness.
WORCESTER VOLUNTEER CAMP – Various Activities – Madresfield Camp – After six days in camp all our faces are ruddier than a cherry. Everybody looks extremely well and feels very fit. Up to Wednesday we have had glorious weather, good food, well-cooked by Chief Cook Harvey and plenty of work.
NEW WAR GRATUITY FOR WIDOWS – A new gratuity of £5 is being paid, in addition to pensions, to the widows of all soldiers killed in action dating back to July 1st 1916.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Clifford Baker 31407 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Walter Boots 31244 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Harry Bushell 39795 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Ernest Cook 17273 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Cooper 30093 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Richard Dunford 33272 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Green 27680 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick George Harris 34622 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Phillip Hodgkiss 35215 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Bert Hutchinson 38436 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Rueben Jackson 28768 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Thomas Lee 34597 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Bently Newman 45334 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Powell 25030 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Thomas Henry Randle 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Henry Rickard 33225 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Skidmore 10565 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Snook 32911 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Walter Dennis Tee 37556 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Percy Edmund Veale 30087 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg