Key dates over August 1917
Lives lost on this day: 23
1st August 1917 - Heavy rain falls across the Ypres battlefields for almost the whole month, preventing any progess
Rolling casualty count: 6941
1st Batt: Batt held the defensive flank in very bad conditions as it had rained all day. Relieved pm by 3rd Worcs Reg and returned to Devonshire Camp.
2nd Batt: Batt arrived at Dunquerque and marched via Telequem to Uxem, reaching crowded billets at 2pm. “A” Coy entrained at Longpre at 2pm.
3rd Batt: Batt moved to Bellewarde Ridge and relieved the 1st Batt Worcs Reg in support to post-line held by the 7th Light Brigade along the Westhoek Ridge. Shelling was very heavy.
4th Batt: Batt in Crombeke Camp. Weather very wet so no parades.
1/8th Batt: Batt in Roobart camp in heavy rain making training impossible
2/7th Batt: Batt at Eringhem in training.
2/8th Batt: Batt in billets at Zeggars Capell. Weather very wet so no training.
10th Batt: Batt at Kemmel Shelters cleaning up.
FOR SAILORS AND SOLDIERS – In Aid of Worcester Mayor’s Fund – On Tuesday afternoon Mrs J Eales organised a miscellaneous sale, a whist drive and various competitions in aid of the Mayor of Worcester’s fund for providing homes for disabled soldiers and sailors and Mrs Robert Allen of Droitwich Road, lent her gardens for the purpose. A considerable number attended and brisk business was done throughout the afternoon and evening at stalls which were laden with fancy work, cakes, flowers and fruit.
THE TRIBUNALS WORCESTER – The Military applied for a review of the certificate of Sidney Bailey (37) Sidbury, wholesale grocer and provision merchant, who was originally granted an exemption because he was managing the business for himself and his brother, the latter being an invalid. It was stated that the brother’s health was worse and he had to go into a hospital in Birmingham. The Tribunal confirmed the certificate so long as Bailey remained in his present medical capacity.
Information researched by the Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. Thomas Baird 40526 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Lloyd Charles Cassell 36057 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Day 235061 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Victor Drapier 38242 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Leslie Glover 835002 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Robert Arthur Hart 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Robert Hewlett 39986 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Hill 37459 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. James Jenks 36857 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Henry Felix Jones 41223 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William David Jones 35481 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Charles Lockley 13384 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Pharoah Joseph Martin 36444 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Roland Mason 235018 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Harry Charles Morris 41121 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Ernest Noble Perham 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Robert Wells 15317 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Ernest Harrison Wheatley 37070 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Thomas Halley 73091 - Machine Gun Corps
- Rifleman Edwin Samuel Roberts 12968 - King's Royal Rifle Corps
- Cpl. Edward James Saunders 19610 - Cameronian (Scottish Rifles)
- L/Cpl. William Herbert Waldron SD/3503 - Royal Sussex Regiment
- Pte. Arthur Jobson 55542 - Welsh Regiment