Key dates over June 1917
Lives lost on this day: 12
17th June 1917 - Portuguese troops see action on the Western Front for the first time
Rolling casualty count: 6665
2nd Batt; There was a Brigade Rifle Meeting all day and the Batt won all the competitions.
11th Batt: The barest necessities are being brought up from Base and troops have little fresh food. There were no comforts for the men as behind the lines in the Western Front.
Yeomanry/Cavalry: Several mounted columns were to march silently and swiftly by night fan-wise, then turn and sweep back again to where they had set out. They went between Wadi Ghuzze and El Buggar Ridge. Other regiments joined in.
BEER AND HOG-WASH OVER A WIFE – Ashton Innkeeper’s Cruelty – Mr Justice Horridge, in the Divorce Division on Wednesday, heard the undefended petition of Mrs Ellen Hooper, asking to have her marriage dissolved, because of the alleged cruelty and misconduct of her husband, William Hooper. Married in 1905, the parties lived at the Plough and Harrow Inn, Ashton Under Hill. It was alleged that respondent treated petitioner with cruelty, on occasions throwing beer and hog-wash over her, and threatening to kill her. In June last, said petitioner, she left him, in consequence of his ill treatment and misconduct with a woman. A decree nisi was pronounced.
DROITWICH CO-OPERATIVE PRODUCE SOCIETY – A meeting was held at the Raven Hotel, Droitwich on Tuesday, to receive the report of a special committee appointed to consider the best means of working the Society.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. William Henry Angel 39784 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Biddle 20308 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Herbert Groom 241713 - 2/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. George Gurrey 37698 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. James Gilbert Gwilliam 39976 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Sidney Mason 27699 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Albert James Miles 40720 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Edward Owen 35486 - 1st Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Albert George Price 200198 - 2/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Sidney William Wilson 33492 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Eric J K Dent 722726 - London Regiment
- Pte. Alfred George Kent Kent 11185 - Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment