Key dates over June 1917
Lives lost on this day: 48
7th June 1917 - Battle of Messines. After the explosion of 19 huge mines, British, Irish, Australian and New Zealand troops seize the Messines Ridge south of Ypres. Fighting continues until 14 June.
Rolling casualty count: 6610
3rd Batt: The strength of the batt going into action was 618 other ranks. At 3.10am under cover of the greatest weight of artillery fire employed in battle, the batt moved into the assault. B Coy on the left entered Nutmeg trench and part of it was captured. B Coy then went on and captured the line at Bell farm. Strong concrete dugouts had withstood the barrage on this line and they contained about 60 Germans. Some were killed and others taken prisoner. A and B Coys went forward again and took 20 more prisoners. Movement to the left to L`Enfer Wood attacked October Support trench, held it and 9 more prisoners were taken.
4th Batt: Published in Batt orders was,”For gallantry in the field, the Military cross was awarded to Lt H Craven.”
2/7th Batt: Men training from 5am to 10am and 5pm to 7 pm. B Coy was on the Range from 2pm to 4pm.
10th Batt: Zero hour was 3.20am when Batt went forward and captured their objective. Capt EW Buller and 2nd Lt TN Clee were wounded. 9 other ranks were killed and 56 wounded.
11th Batt: Batt relieved and marched by stages to Moravba, Hirsova and the railway station of Caushitza.
SMD RFA: Area heavily shelled by all calibres up to 8 inch guns. Personnel were withdrawn and there were no casualties For sniping purposes, a Howitzer and some other guns were put forward in Boursis and surrounding area.
SEVERN FISHERY BOARD SALMON CLOSE SEASON – Powick Weir and Grating - The Chairman of the Severn Fishery Board said the Board of Agriculture and Fisheries had appointed a committee called the Fresh Water Fisheries Committee, which had to consider whether any considerable addition to the home food supplied could be provided from the rivers, lakes and ponds of the United Kingdom. The communication from the Committee asked for an estimate of the existing stocks, and the best methods of securing a better output of eels.
PAYMENT TO RECRUITS COURT MARTIAL AT NORTON – Fraud Alleged Against Corporal - A District Court Martial was opened at Norton Barracks, Worcester today, when ten charges of alleged fraud were preferred against Cpl W Lawrence, Depot, Worcestershire Regt. The first charge was for the purpose of purporting a document to be genuine, thereby obtaining the sum of 6s.6d. with intent to defraud. The second charge was that he improperly obtained a signature to a blank form of receipt. The eight remaining charges were exactly similar.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Sgt. Frederick Aston 19913 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Alfred Baker 39933 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. George Belcher 39787 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. George Billingbam 15400 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Boyers 23262 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- 2/Lt. Harry Lee Brampton 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Vincent Brettle 201335 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Arthur Bunce 39794 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Reginald Carter 17876 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Emanuel Castle 33391 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Richard Frederick Cole 20091 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. William Bernard Cornwell 8923 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Edward Edwards 15584 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Herbert Fox 40851 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Thomas Goss 36807 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Hammer 42596 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Charles Harmer 30456 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Henry Charles Hawkins 25193 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Henry Ernest Hemus 34716 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Edward Hough 25790 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Lt. Alban John Benedict Hudson 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Douglas Roy Hutchinson 27953 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. John Henry James 30833 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Jervis 23349 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Thomas Charles Littler 33530 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Capt. Sylvester Patrick Joseph MacDonald 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Alfred Maxfield 24733 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frederick Peplow 40857 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Charles Stokes 42576 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Stratford 29805 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Taylor 12372 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Horace Thomas 34525 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Alfred Tilbey 40159 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Hezekiah Walker 19765 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Cpl. Percy Wall 22670 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Ward 27970 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. George Henry Webb 29682 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Albert Welch 200688 - 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Jesse Williams 10836 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. John Henry Wood 39785 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Benjamin Wright 31397 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Owen Robert Wyatt 40175 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Gunner Harold Leslie Bemand 107838 - Royal Field Artillery
- Pte. Alfred Woods 267344 - Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry
- Pte. Douglas Cecil Leeke 34043 - Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
- Pte. William Vaux 40949 - Duke of Edinburgh's (Wiltshire) Regiment
- Pte. William Tom Pope Pope 30066 - Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Pte. Frank Hack F/1982 - Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment