Key dates over April 1917
Lives lost on this day: 11
22nd April 1917 - Appeal tribunal turns down claim
Rolling casualty count: 5897
War Front: 2nd Batt: Our artillery bombarded the Hindenburg Line preparatory to the attack planned for the 23rd. In the evening, B and C Coys supplied the guides to take the Queens and KR Rifles to the Quarry. C Coy carried 20 food containers of hot tea for the attacking Batts.
2/7th Batt: Cleaning up and improving billets.
2.8th Batt: Cleaning up the area and the billets.
SMD RFA: Registration of high ground in preparation for the attack.
Yeomanry /Cavalry: The Brigade withdrew from the out-post line and retired to Wadi Sharia.
Home Front: THE TRIBUNALS – COUNTY APPEAL – Farmer and Substitution – The Worcestershire Appeal Tribunal at a sitting at Dudley on Friday, had before them a case of a dairyman Farmer and butcher of Netherton, aged 30 and single, for the purpose of the Act passed B1, in which at the last Appeal Court it was ordered that he be replaced by a substitute under the National Service Scheme. The farmer, it was stated had been offered a substitution in a young man aged 22, who had been passed C2, but he had refused to accept him. MR Willis Bund said the Tribunal considered that the substitute was satisfactory and the Military appeal would be allowed.
COMMISSION FOR A WORCESTER MAN –A commission as a second lieutenant has been granted to Sergt Instructor Chapman, whose mother lives in Washington Street. He is now an instructor in the Machin Gun Corps training centre.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte. George Harwood TR7/7168 - Gloucestershire Regiment
- Pte. Gerald W. G. Allbutt 307315 - Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
- Pte. John William Collins 30814 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Sgt. Herbert Alfred Deeming 14138 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. George Thomas Harrison 35191 - 3rd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. Frank Holton 22684 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl. Bertram Francis Hughes 39713 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William West 40635 - 4th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte. William Arthur Blundell 43016 - Durham Light Infantry
- Pte. George Howard Baylis 66290 - Royal Army Medical Corps
- Gunner Hubert Ralph Newbury 92379 - Royal Field Artillery