Key dates over February 1917
Lives lost on this day: 12
12th February 1917 - Rev. Studdert Kennedy's message home
Rolling casualty count: 5456
War Front: 2nd Batt: Five Coys practised the Fighting Platoon on grounds north of Suzanne. Small fatigue parties were supplied for the town Mayor.
4th Batt: Training for the day was cancelled as Batt allotted the baths at Heilly.
2/7th Batt: Transport left by bus for new area. Two other ranks joined the Batt.
2/8th Batt: Transport proceeded by road. 97 other ranks joined Batt from Base.
10th Batt: heavy firing and combat resulted in 4 men killed and 52 wounded, but we killed 8 of the enemy. It was found that several dug-outs were not manned.
Home Front: Message from Studdert Kennedy – Characteristic Letter to Parishioners - In a letter to his “people” dated February 5th, The Rev. Studdert Kennedy writes. I am afraid I was not properly well when I went back to France after my sick leave. The day before I went back I heard from the Deputy Chaplain General that I was to be recalled from my Battalion to preach the National Mission to the troops. This was, I confess, a great sorrow to me. I loved the work at the front and was just beginning to feel that I had a grip on my Brigade when I came down, and although I love preaching, …..yet to be confined to preaching, to be taken out of contact with human nature as one sees it in the line, is a loss, and one’s heart goes back to the trenches, and stops there still.
The Tribunals – Upton Upon Severn – Exempted Men and the Volunteers – The Chairman said that there were some men who had been given exemption with the proviso that they should join the Volunteers who had not been observing that condition , and it must be intimated to them that if they did not observe it, the Tribunal must withdraw the exemption. The Chairman added that now sections had been formed in the various districts it would be convenient for the men to join.
Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team
- Pte Frederick Delappe Barnfield 27751 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Samuel Bostock 39939 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte George Brookes 17285 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Cyril Fenton Glover 20476 - 2/8th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Reuben Hogg 30609 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Albert Henry Reynolds 31384 - 9th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl Ernest Shellard 30877 - 2nd Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Joseph Toghill 16067 - 11th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Arthur Wakelin 39908 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Percy Ralph Webb 30547 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- Pte Joseph White 16917 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg
- L/Cpl Edward Whitehouse 10184 - 10th Bn Worcs Reg