Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over January 1917

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 0

10th January 1917 - New £1 notes to be circulated

Rolling casualty count: 5186

War Front: 2nd Batt: Batt did a route march along the Abbeville road. Capt. Watson joined batt and was posted to B Coy.

4th Batt: Capt AE Roberts returned from a course for senior officers at Aldershot and took over 2nd in Command.

10th Batt: Batt moved by bus and lorry and relieved the 18th D L I in the Hebuterne, north of the village facing the German defences at Gommecourt. Weather bitterly cold with thick snow which revealed the tracks of British and German patrols during the night.

SMD RFA: Registration of Gird trench just behind Butte de Warlingcourt was carried out by aeroplane. Very successful for B and C Coys but aeroplanes unable to see A Coy.

Yeomanry/Cavalry: At 1am the Regiment began its ride back to El Arish in heavy rain and many men slept in the saddle. The enemy dead was estimated at 300 and the British casualties 500 but most only lightly wounded.

Home Front: The preparations for the issue of the new £1 Currency Notes have now been completed, and the notes will be available for issue on or about January 22. The new notes are the same size as those now in use, but the paper on which they are printed is a white Bank note paper of considerably stronger texture than that of the present issue. The watermark consists of the letters “One Pound” in a tablet with the Royal Cipher (“G.R.” surmounted by a Crown) on either side. Above and below the letters N of the words “ONE” and “POUND” appear one of the four national emblems – the rose, thistle, shamrock, and daffodil – and the intervening spaces are filled in with slanting lines. The water-marks will not necessarily be in the same position on every note.

The City Coroner conducted an inquest at the Infirmary this afternoon respecting the death of Mary Ann Taylor (34), Wylds Lane, Worcester, who died in the Infirmary on Sunday from burns received while at work at the Royal Porcelain Works. Mrs. Taylor was admitted to the Infirmary on Dec. 28th badly burned about the back and the lower limbs, and was in a serious condition. She never recovered from the shock; she was kept alive on stimulants the whole of the time. Death was due to septic absorption and shock…Before she was admitted her burns had evidently been treated with oil and lime-water…Mrs. Taylor had been with the firm for 20 years and she was a very valued servant. The Directors desired to express their sympathy with the husband and relatives.

Information researched by The Worcestershire World War 100 team