Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over December 1914

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 0

18th December 1914 - Soldier thought dead returns home

Rolling casualty count 553

1st Batt: Battalion marched to ‘A’ Lines HQ remained in close billets in the houses around ‘A’ Lines HQ. An attack was made in the evening by the 2nd Devonshire Regt in ‘D’ Lines against the German trenches; 2nd Batt: Waiting to move at 1 hour’s notice; 3rd Batt:E.Kemmel: Relieved in trenches 10pm by Suffolk Regt and marched to billets at Locre.

The family of Pte HJ Young, of the Coldstream Guards (who was reported 3 weeks ago to have been killed in action) have received a letter from him, in which he states he is on his way home. They later got a postcard saying he arrived in England on Sunday last. After the family received the notification from the War Office of his death, further communication was made, and there appeared to be some doubt as to his death. It is now fully established that he is alive. He has lost one arm, and has suffered other injuries.

Territorial Recruiting: 8 recruits joined the 8th (Reserve) Battalion on Wednesday. About 40 more men are needed to complete the establishment, which was recently increased. The 100 additional men required for the Worcestershire Artillery have been secured, but a few shoesmiths and saddlers are still required.

Sir:- Can I enlist the sympathy of sportsmen? For the brave fellows who are keeping watch on the destroyer in the North Sea a good warm sweater is a God-send. Through the liberality of friends I have been able to forward to HM Queen Mary’s Naval Hospital, Southend-on-Sea, two packages, and the cry is for more. To anyone who can spare a sweater (not of necessary a new one) and would send it to The Pavilion, County Ground, I should be very grateful. George W Bate, Secretary, Worcestershire County Cricket Club.

Pte George Dyer (Pete), 3rd Battn Worcestershire Regiment, is at present staying with his parents, where he has come to recover from a wound in the arm caused by shrapnel, which he received at the battle of Lalle. He was wounded below the wrist and again below the elbow. He said that when he received the wound he thought nothing of it and laughed, but it soon afterwards became painful. He has had some arduous experiences and has been in trenches within 300 yards of the German big guns for 3 days. Their transports were unable to bring them any food, and so late one night some mangolds were obtained from a field near. That was all he had for 3 days. During this battle they lost their guns and made 3 bayonet charges to try and recover them, but were unable to do so. He says the Germans do not like cold steel, he states that he had been quite near to the Gurkhas. Directly the Gurkhas made a charge the Germans fled. They would not stay and face them.

Information researched by Sue Redding