Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over October 1914

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 0

7th October 1914 - Concern over replacement motor buses

2nd Batt: Still entrenched north of Soupir under enemy fire.

3rd Batt: Their train left Picquigny at 1:30pm, arrived at Pont Remy at 2:30pm; Into billets at Le Plessier with the 7th Brigade.

Each of the 3 Battalions and Ammunition Column has now its own football team, and the first of the inter-Brigade matches will take place on Pitchcroft after the end of the day's work at 4pm;

Motor Buses for the Front: Mr Prosser (Chairman of the Licensing Committee) said the Government had taken one of the public motor 'buses off the road, and had warned Messrs Woodyatt that in the course of the next few days they might take the other two. This placed them in a very serious position, as it seemed impossible to replace the vehicles. The Government had taken possession of the leading motor 'bus factories, and appropriated at once anything of value that was turned out. The Licensing Committee were fully alive to the situation, and were doing all they could to arrange that the inconvenience might be as little as possible;

A 2-day sale of work was opened in the schoolroom of Lady Huntingdon's Free Church by Lady Hindlip. The entrance to the school was decorated with evergreen, flowers and flags. On the stalls were displayed needlework, clothing, fancy and useful articles, flowers and fruit. It is desired by the sale to raise £100 towards meeting the expense of the Church work. £10 of the proceeds would be devoted to the local War Relief Fund. Music was given at intervals, arranged by Mr Lewis, and there were several competitions.

Mrs Winnall, of Home Farm, received a letter from Lance-Corporal Richardson about her son, Corporal Colin Winnall. L-C Richardson described how her son was wounded 3 days after the battle at Mons. On that day they had marched 20 miles when they met the cavalry coming in, and were told there were Germans in thousands. “Your son was hit in both shins. I must say he was the bravest man on the field, as he wanted to be held up so that he could have another shot at the Germans.”

Information researched by Sue Redding